Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A Part of Me [Missing]

I play the piano. Not only do I just play the piano; I absolutely love to play the piano. This realization has truly bloomed on me very recently.

I always enjoyed playing, it was a part of my everyday life. But now, being at college, things have changed. I struggle to find the time to get to one of the pianos that is on campus. I do not always have a piano at my fingertips. I am not always able to instantly play when I am happy, or instantly play when I am sad.

At home, I could do these things. Being away from home has taught me how much I miss an intricate part of my life that is no longer as intricate—and I wish it was.

It makes me frustrated, I've been playing for 12 years now (since the 2nd grade). I miss expressing myself at my leisure.

But, let me tell you, when I do get my hands on a piano—it's magical. It makes me feel alive. It is like meeting a long-lost friend. I cherish these moments. I will continue to make an effort to get to a piano whenever I can, because I will not let myself lose something that has a large place in my heart and in my life.

Through all of this, I ask you to come away with the following: When you are passionate about something, stay dedicated and never back down. Unfortunately the day may come when you are stripped of a passion you may love. This happened to me with the piano, but it is crucial that I remind myself to never give in. When at the moment that you feel your passion slipping away, you must grab it back. You must grab it back and never let go.

Don't let someone take something away from you that you love. Trust yourself, trust your heart. Go with your gut and do what you feel is right. I will not let myself lose my love for the piano, I just can't let that happen. My love for the piano is undying, and it reminds me of hard work and the confidence that something you dedicate your life to will pay off in the end.

For the way that you get true meaning out of life is through your devotion to others, your devotion to your surroundings, and your devotion to creating something that gives your life a purpose. Part of my purpose is touching others through the piano. I wish that you may find it within yourself touch the lives of others through your own ways of passion, kindness, and love.

Take a risk—let go—love will do the rest.

3 comments:

  1. Do what you like, like what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. always so inspiring Mark, just like listening to you play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I had no idea! That is cool. Maybe it's a new nickname: Piano Man. Nice workout today. For you and the team!

    ReplyDelete