Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Keep Goin' Part 1

Today, I decided I would share with you a series of blog posts in which I recall my journey to break 5 minutes in the mile. This journey took place in the midst of my grandfather being very sick. When all is said and done, I hope it inspires you to always keep goin', no matter what the circumstances. Enjoy.

“Good morning, Grandpa! How are you feeling?”

“Could be better.”

“I have a race this afternoon! I am running the mile! I’m going to break five minutes for you! I’ll call you right after my race.”

“Alright, keep goin’, Mark!”

“Bye Grandpa, love you.”

“Love you too.”

I never did break five minutes in the mile that night. I ran 5:11, but I was still determined to look up at that scoreboard when I crossed the finish line and see the gleaming white numbers read 4:59. I called my grandpa that night and told him the news. He was as happy as could be even though I didn’t break five. No matter what time I got, he just loved to hear me talk about my races. To end the conversation that night, he said, “Keep goin, Mark!” That is exactly what I did, I kept goin’. I trained hard the next week while preparing for my race on Thursday. All I could think about that day during school was that same thought of crossing the finish line. I would call Grandpa and say, “I did it, Grandpa! I broke five!” I just couldn’t wait.

When I arrived home, my Mom gave me some bad news. My grandpa was admitted to the hospital that morning because he was having trouble breathing and swallowing. I was completely devastated. My happy mood was crushed into pieces. Then I had an idea; I knew exactly what to do. I dashed downstairs minutes before I walked out the door and grabbed a picture of me running that was on the computer desk. I snatched the nearest writing utensil from the desk and wrote on the back of the picture: “I’m gonna’ break five in the mile tonight for you, Grandpa! Feel Better. Love, Mark.” My Mom was missing my race that night to go see him in the hospital. I handed my Mom the picture, and held in some sobs as I said, “Just give this to Grandpa for me.” As the gun went off, I couldn’t erase the thought of my grandpa in my mind. I guess my brain was too caught up in the event that just occurred, because I struggled in my race. I came through in 5:09, feeling as if I let myself and my grandpa down. I couldn’t give up; I just had to keep goin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment