Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Bucket of Chicken

Let me start off by saying how disappointed I was last night after the Yankee game was postponed due to rain. On that note, I have a few memories to share that have to do with Yankee Stadium.

My dad bought me tickets to a Yankee game for my 8th birthday and we have been going to games ever since. I clearly remember the days in which I used to bring signs to the games (because that's what you did as a little kid). One year, 2004, I made a sign reading "1918" to hold up during Game 2 of the 2004 American League Championship Series. I thought my sign would bring luck to the team, and it did, they won the first 3 games of the Series! Then, the most unbelievable playoff collapse took place in the history of Major League Baseball. The Red Sox stormed all the way back to make a trip to the World Series. They ended up winning it, and the curse of 1918 was over.

I clearly remember when the Yankees blew their 3-0 series lead. When it was all over I ran up to my room and grabbed the sign because I needed to dispose of it. It was a sad, sad night for Yankees fans across the Country.


As for recent days, the New Yankee Stadium has had some great memories. This season, a new adventure ensued: The Adventure to Take Down the Bucket of Chicken. One game, my friend Dylan and I spotted a few fans eating out of a bucket. We looked at each other and knew we had to get it. The bucket consisted of 8 rather large chicken tenders with more fries that you could imagine. Let me tell you, it is one heck of a task. Unfortunately, the two of us were unable to finish it.

A few weeks later, myself and two other friends (Vinny and James) decided to take on the Bucket. Let me tell you, it was a battle, but we got the job done. We conquered the Bucket of Chicken. I won't forget that game, there was a great sense of accomplishment in what we had done.


From now on, the Bucket of Chicken is a ritual (it must always be challenged when I go to a Yankee game). If you go to Yankee Stadium in the near future, I invite you to try to take down the Bucket of Chicken.

An empty Bucket in which the chicken and fries once laid has a spot in my dorm room so I can always be reminded of both defeat and sweet, sweet victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment