Was very touched reading this comment about the Pat Harmon run creators being nominated for Hometown Hero. I am very humbled.
I am almost two years older than Mark and I hold even more years over Mike. I ran track with both of them in highschool and Mark quickly became one of my best friends. He always used to look up to me, both figuratively and literally, I remember when he wasn't even tall enough to reach my armpit, and I am a big part of who he is today. Now that he and Mike have grown up and matured, (Mark is now a good inch taller than me and I am not short), I can say they are my heroes. Their incredibly dedication to the community is admirable, what they contribute to running and their teams on a day to day basis is beyond words. Outside of the team they also volenteer, such as when they make sandwiches for the less fortunate every year. They are both active in clubs and excellent students. Their dedication is most evident with the fruition of the Pat Harmon Run, all Smithtown athletes love and miss our coach Pat Harmon, but few have what it takes to pull such an incredible event together. Over the past two years they have (with a little help from their friends, the people they influence day by day), raised over 30,000 dollars for cancer research. That is impressive, but this value isn't why I think they should be hometown hero. I believe they should be hometown hero because of what they do for everyone they know and love day by day. They are two fantastic characters, and the inspiration and love they spread is unrivaled. A single event doesnt make a hero. It takes a lifetime.
No comments:
Post a Comment